Monday, June 28, 2010

Self Identity

Identity is a very important thing, it helps you know who you are and what you want. It makes you feel more confident and generally helps with your everyday life. Why am I suddenly going on about identity? Because I have been doing a lot of thinking about it (mainly for a portfolio site I'm working on) and I think that not enough credit is given to how important it is.

The most obvious use identity has is in any creative media. If you sit down and identify the style that you wish to portray yourself as and refine it you will get noticed. Even if it's just something as vague as the style of lines you draw with or the comedy or maths you inject into your writing it makes it more professional and cohesive if you know what you are aiming for. But there are other uses for identity!

In everyone else's professional life it still helps. If you keep your identity strong and proud you will get noticed. Even if it's in something small like keeping an elegant standing in a security job, spending that little bit of extra time personalising letters that travel the company people will remember you, and if you don't get remembered you can never move up in the world.

Finally everyday life. Why would you not want to have your own personal identity. If you are just one of the boring masses that plow through life without anything unique or an defined about them. They might as well be a blurred cloud of person, blending into the environment. Now I'm probably not the best person to be giving this advice, I tend to push my personality waaaaaaay out there. I talk to animals and name them loudly in public. I tend to wear what I feel are quite stand-out-ish (It doesn't help that I'm amazonian in stature and stand out like a sore thumb). I like to stand out, but oddly enough I'm shy, funny that.

Anyway, I derailed a lot there... Identity helps life in general!

- Fae

No comments:

Post a Comment