Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sometimes you have a bad day

Today was an... interesting day. Something felt off from the morning, I had an odd feeling in the pit of my stomach (as I have for the last three days). I assumed it was just me being silly as always and ignored it. My task for today was to re-design the logo the my project group, currently it was two blue balls with the words 'Anger Issues' under it. After six hours designing and re-designing logos and finally conferring with someone much more knowledgeable than I on Gestalt theory I decided two major problems. The word anger combined with angry text completely clashed with circular figures that were a calm sea blue.

So I asked my project manager to come over and chat about it. I explained that I didn't have to change the design (I knew it was precious to him and didn't want to start an argument), but if I changed the tones to a hotter colour or re-designed the balls into more agressive shapes it would pull the whole idea together. He said "No your wrong". I sat there for a second stunned at the suddenness of his reply before making some examples to show him the difference between hot and cold tones. I had this lovely picture of a terrifying demon wreathed in flames, I changed it too a blue colour and asked him didn't it seem terrifying before but now, while still being magnificent he was now calm in comparison. He told me I was wrong again.

This kept looping around in this manner (every time I insisted I didn't have to change the design, I understand that there was an emotional attachment and I was happy to work around it) but he would flat out told me I was wrong. Other people nearby started noticing and joined in, including two other designers, all trying to explain to him how the hot colours worked towards the 'angry' side of the logo.

I got so worked up that I was inches from crying and had to quietly end the argument and leave to cry in the stairwell for twenty minutes. After calming down (and talking to a wonderfully helpful individual) I went home exhausted, to just get over the day.

So what is the point of me telling you all this? Well to paraphrase from the wonderful person who helped me get over it you cannot get stronger unless you first undergo the trial. Now I had realised this when working with a client a couple of months ago. He was an angry guy and was constantly belittling my work. However throughout all of his comments he was at least constructive in places and that helped me make better work. Pigheadedness was not something I had experienced in the workplace before and I was not at all prepared. But now I have learnt.

You see without the challenges of life you cannot prove yourself.

EDIT: I just realised I was meant to post about pets today, sorry! Till tomorrow maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment